Sunday, October 21, 2007

Initial Observations

The first time I checked the MicroAquarium for signs of life, there was scarce to see. There were three organisms that I did notice.
The first organism was stationary, and chlorophyll green. It was located near the bottom of the aquarium, just above some mud. Based upon these things, the organism was recognized as green algea. This was the only green algea I found.
The second organism that I saw was motile. It appeared to be rounded and its head was a seperate segment. It looked very similar to a very small ladybug that you could see through. It also appeared to have two very faint tails that forked out from its body. The organisms appeared to wiggle back and forth, using its two tails like a fin. This was the only one of its kind that I saw.
Finally, I noted a worm-like organism that also had a tail. This organism's tail was very short. The organism spent most of its time spinning in circles, and occasionally moving forward. This organism was rather hard to keep up with under the microscope, and was the only one of its kind that I was fortunate enough to see.
And so concludes the rather short list of living things I observed on the first day. Better luck next time, I hope.

No comments: